Sunday, March 22, 2015

Giving and Receiving

Since my last blog post, a lot has happened with my project.  My favorite thing that has happened is the annual Empty Bowls Event.  This event is organized by my good family friend, and also my mentor for my 20 Time Project, Bonnie Mellos.  She has helped me a lot in getting in touch with Cass Community Social Services and done a lot of volunteer work in Detroit, because helping others is one of her passions, too.  Empty Bowls is something she organizes through Assumption Church where, basically, people volunteer to decorate, paint, and create glass bowls. Then, a couple weeks later, these bowls are bought by people and you get to eat soup, from local businesses that donate their soup for the event, out of the bowls you paid for.  Some bowls are even autographed by famous people or designed by famous artist.  These bowls get auctioned off for huge prices.  All of the proceeds of this event go to homeless people and soup kitchens in order to help feed people in need.  Empty Bowls is an amazing way for people and businesses all around the community to help out our neighbors in need, while also having a great time and eating some tasty soup!  I look forward to this event every year and I know how much of a difference it makes for those who have nothing.
Also in news, Cass Community Social Services sent me a whole catalog brochure on CCSS and other ways to get involved and show their business.  I think it is kind of like a "Thank you and come back soon!" kind of gift.  I love seeing these because the booklet really represents how CCSS works in helping those in need.  Along with this, they sent me four coasters with famous landmarks in Detroit pictured on them, including a Heidelberg house and the GM building.  I absolutely love this gift because it goes hand in hand with what I am focusing on in my 20 Time Project and connects all my passions about Detroit together in one gift.  The people at CCSS are amazingly generous and kind hearted and I hope I can go back to volunteer again as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment