Sunday, March 8, 2015

Frustration and Success

In the past weeks, I have had success, but also a lot of frustration.  It is already March and I hoped that I would have been able to get involved with Detroit Public Schools by now.  I tried very hard to get a tutoring position in their Reading Corps Program and help kids that struggle with reading and writing, but they have not notified me or gotten back to me in any way.  There's not much else I can do but abandon that goal.  Despite their failure to allow me to get involved, I hope the Reading Corps Program is still active because it truly is a great way to help children of Detroit become more successful in school and bring up low test scores in Detroit's schools.
In news, Cass Community Social Services contacted me, knowing a was a volunteer willing to help in any way I could, saying that they were running short on crucial supplies from the lasting, cold winter.  These supplies included toilet paper, laundry detergent, and paper towel.  I spread the word and tried to collect as much of these supplies as possible.  I got a good amount of supplies together, my own donations plus donations from friends and family, but I did not get as much as I expected.  I am still proud of the donations given to Cass Community Social Services and I know that any amount will help the workers provide for the people in need.
Also, I have been exploring the shoot-off project within my project that is just learning more about Detroit itself and enjoying all the culture and hip things happening in the city.  I have loved going downtown and eating in new restaurants and seeing new things pop up all the time.

1 comment:

  1. Keep trying! Maybe talk to some of the other schools in GP (Try Pierce, Trombly, Parcells, Poupard). They might need tutoring help.

    ReplyDelete